Mermaids

For the first time in my life I'm drawing mermaids. I don't embrace the shell bikini mermaid, she's kinda not my thing, (though no disrespect to those who love that) so it's been fun trying to work out what a mermaid is to me. I have a couple weeks to focus on this and so far, I gotta admit, it's crazy fun.

I found a beautiful misty photo spread by my favorite fashion photographer Jamie Nelson. I find so much inspiration from Jamie's work and this series for Allure magazine made me want to run for my art supplies. I must say that my girl resembles Kiera Knightley more than the model in the shoot, but hey, maybe I was thinking of Pirates of the Caribbean instead of mermaids.

I'm loving working on wood. I'm using a 16x16" beechwood panel that I picked up on clearance at DeSerres. Wood is super absorbent and I actually found that my watercolor crayons worked terribly on it, don't know how my course teacher Tam had such lovely results? Mine went from bad to worse and finally in a fit of frustration I grabbed my Prismacolor pencil crayons and the results turned my mood around. I was thrilled with how incredibly well the pencil crayons worked on the wood and all the shading of the face was done with my Prismacolors and a few Derwent soft color pencil crayons over a thin wash of watercolor crayon and white acrylic.

On the right side of the painting a mermaid tale is to be drawn swishing up behind her. Russ is of a strong opinion that I should stop here, after I complete the rose and just leave the wood. Very Audrey Kawasaki like - whom I adore. I don't know...I think I'm just going to go for it and if it is terrible...no biggie. We'll just have to wait and see!

For anyone interested in colors - here is what I have and what I used - please note these are not watercolor pencil crayons...:
Prismacolor pencil crayons that worked well for skin tones - Light Peach, Peach Beige, Beige Sienna and Blush Pink - Yellow Ochre also is nice but I didn't use it here.
Derwent Coloursoft pencils that work well include - pale peach, peach, ochre, light sand, white, and blush pink.

Popular posts from this blog

The Faithful Donut

Barn Star Tutorial

Firewood Storage Ideas