Barn Star Tutorial

I searched the internet over and over again to find a tutorial for a paper barn star and couldn't find one, so I decided to figure it out on my own and make one. I can't be the only one, so here's my photo tutorial of how to make one for yourself! There may be easier ways to do this, but this is what I came up with and seems to work just fine.
To make your paper barn star you will need:
  • 5 square pieces of paper in the size and style of your choice: cardstock, patterned paper, vintage paper will all work, but thicker paper works best. For this example I used double sided patterned paper from Crate Paper and cut it to 3 inches x 3 inches.
  • Adhesive. I prefer permanent tape adhesive but a glue stick would work just fine.
  • Scissors
  • A bone folder (not necessary but extremely helpful)
  • A water based sealer such as mod podge to protect the end product and give it strength.
If you want to add a string, punch a small hole in one of the star points prior to sealing it. I used vintage sheet music that belonged to my Mom to make my first star. It's really delicate, but it looks adorable clipped to the edge of the curtains in my kitchen.
I liked it so much I made this larger version for Kia's room, I'm still in the process of sealing it with multiple coats to give it some durability. This one is for my tree, as I'm still without a topper (because I can't find one I love) this will suffice for this year. Hope this made sense, please ask any questions you need for clarification! Plus did you spot the warpy photos of me reflected in the gold ball of the Christmas tree. I left that there just for you, to remind you that I'm a meathead. :P

Popular posts from this blog

The Faithful Donut

Firewood Storage Ideas