In the Raw

This dog...sigh and deep breath...it's been almost 4 months with Roopert. We had no idea what we were getting into that day we chose him from the Edmonton Humane Society, and darn our loyal hides, we made a commitment and Workman's follow through (my people however, not so much). There are days where I adore him and days where I wish he'd just go away and leave me alone. Our relationship is clearly dysfunctional. Russ and Kia don't seem to have the roller coaster of emotion that I have though, so that's nice.

Anyways, I thought I'd share something you might not know or even care to know, especially if you don't own or intend to own a dog. You have my permission to move on now and go to one of the many wonderful sites I link to in my sidebar. We thought finding a dog food would be simply a matter of going to the store and buying a bag. In our case we soon discovered this would not be such an easy answer, Yorkies are picky eaters. Ours was the king of the picky Yorkies. The first month was spent almost entirely trying to find something this dog would actually eat.

Our food journey finally took me to a little shop in town called the Bone & Biscuit co. It specializes in healthy foods for dogs, here's a quote from the site "By eliminating filler ingredients such as corn, low grade proteins (by-products), chemical preservatives and additives that are so commonly used in commercial pet foods, you are greatly improving your pet's health." I then started researching the benefits of feeding dogs a diet of raw meat.Really when you think about it, dogs in their natural habitats ate entirely natural raw meat, grasses, and berries. Roops took to the diet like a dog that had been hungry for the first two years of his existence. Right now I feed him a product produced here in Alberta by Legacy pet foods. It's called Bison Dinner and is a frozen puck of meat containing 100% Antibiotic free, hormone free, range fed government inspected fresh Alberta bison. It is 80% + bison and 10 - 20% some or all of the following: organs, carrots, broccoli, peas, green beans, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, blue berries, cranberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, apples and garlic. One puck of meat will feed him for two days and the cost is around $20 per month.

In addition to providing your dog with a diet of raw it is recommended that they are also provided with meaty bones to help maintain their teeth. Roopert, however, gets a bone and promptly buries it in the backyard. If you see him with a bone, he is probably just moving it to a new location he scouted out, or noted when I was gardening and digging myself and decided whatever I planted need a new bone companion. He will however chew fake bones. Weird dog.

This is not a cheap choice by any means but it truly is comparable. I can't imagine the cost of feeding a larger dog a raw meat diet. Ouch to the pocket book! In the end we have a happy dog that loves feeding time, beautiful green grass in the backyard with no big yellow patches, better teeth and good dog breath, really all the benefits you want for your dog.

Don't get me wrong, we still feed him dog treats and "cookies". Which are yogurt covered cookies we get him at a little doggy bakery in town ( for real). He sometimes will just lick the yogurt off and leave the cookie behind. He'll try to be really good for a cookie. It's one of his favorite words.

Popular posts from this blog

Barn Star Tutorial

The Faithful Donut

Firewood Storage Ideas